Thursday, February 12, 2009

My first hockey game!

First I needed to post a picture of my new hair! I got it cut and colored and I have never felt better walking out of the salon! I can not wait to play more with it and see what it can do!


Now for the hockey!





Ben's work, Discount Tire, gives sports tickets out to their employees for every game that goes on (Suns, Cardinals, D-Backs, Coyotes...and several other teams) Ben won the seats on the glass for the Coyotes hockey game tonight! I was really excited to go because I have never been to a hockey game in my whole life! So...I need to write down all my thoughts on hockey and some of my experiences tonight.


~ There is a "puck drop" at the beginning where someone from the community walks out on the ice (but they lay a carpet down) and they drop the puck. It doesn't start the game...the players fake hit it after the drop...there is no point to this "puck drop."

~ There are no quarters or halves...they have 3 periods! Why do they have these odd numbered things? What happened to half time? ....it doesn't exist in hockey.

~ The puck switches between teams so so often that the term "turnover" or "interception" have no place. Whoever gets the puck gets the puck.

~ They have cheerleaders! Can you imagine wearing a cheerleader's outfit on the ice? They are crazy in my mind.

~ I have never heard to much yelling and cursing at a sports event in my life! Hockey fans are potty mouths! hahaha

~ To be "checked" looks really painful and I got to see it right infront of me a few times!

~ The puck makes a really loud and startling sound when it hits the glass

~ Tonight a puck came down between the net and the glass, hit the wall, bounced over me, and the guy sitting next to me caught it

~ You encourage and cheer on fights between players




~ A lot of the players really do have gaps in their teeth where teeth have been knocked out!

~ I was on the big center screen

~ The seats we got were also passes to the "club" which means we got special passes to wear around our necks and go to this great room under the stands

~ In this "club" there is an amazing buffet with everything from rice to corn and black bean salad (YUMMY!)...to pizza to hot dogs to beef tenderloin carved from the bone (gross).
~ There was a whole ice cream bar! That was delicious!

~ We went to the club first and ate a little dinner. Then I got to get a free pinnapple and malibu (just about my favorite drink!) and free popcorn and went to our seats

~ I also got a free coffee/hot chocolate during the game to help keep me warm and awake
~ I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be

~ I could not believe how close we were to the action!

~ There was this kid...probably about 6 or 7 years old yelling at the players. He would yell "Hit 'em where it hurts" "Take 'em down!" "Come on, get up! Get him!" It was hilarious to see him be so intense about the game!
~ Most importantly Ben and I had a fun evening together and just played and laughed and joked and loved each other. I love being with my husband!
It was a really fun night - I am a total fan of going to hockey games now. I don't know how much I'll like it when I'm not in the glass seats or have a pass to the club to get free food and drinks. But I will definitely do it again!
















No comments: