Friday, May 22, 2009

The "perks" of a hospital job

I have worked at Scottsdale Health Care for 6 weeks now. I have been able to handle the grossness of it all until today.

I have seen a lot of really gross stuff. I have had to quickly grap a bed pan and place it under a patient so he wouldn't "let some go" on his bed and on my hand; I held a bucket for a patient as she threw up the "nothing" that was in her stomach after her surgery; I have watched an elderly patient have a BM as we walked him down the hall; I have had patients faint on me and the PT in the hall; I have seen urine very unnatural colors of amber and puce; I have seen blood drains; blood stains on sheets; BM stains on sheets/gowns; stapled up incisions; very young sick people, and very elderly people in their last days. I have been able to handle all of that fairly well. Of course some teary eyes for the sad moments, but I've handled it. Until today.

Today a patient spit disgusting saliva and whatever turned it that nasty color into a bowl and I had to wash it. I gagged and dry heaved (thankfully silently and the patient's back was to me) I had to excuse myself from the room to keep from throwing up right there. I could not handle that. After working in a dentists' office I knew I didn't like saliva but I thought I was over that after going through all the above mentioned...but I discovered today that I am not. Saliva/spit will make me gag and dry heave.

So you can bleed/urinate/throw up/and even have a BM in front of me.
Just don't spit.
Thank you.

No comments: